Devote yourself to learning the Hebrew language.
Learn as much Hebrew as possible – you won’t understand the jokes, make friends, be a leader or understand the culture and have fun without Hebrew. Strive to make friends that do not speak English or your native language as this will help to improve your Hebrew skills.
Physical preparation is good; however, knowledge and the ability to speak, understand and thrive in a new mentality and culture are more critical to your service. Hebrew will allow you to understand the jokes, be able to express yourself, to laugh at others (and yourself).
How can I “speak the language of the Hebrew man”?
- Carry a mini-notebook, write down 3 new words each day and review them at the end the end of each week and each month.
- Watch Israeli news each night, along with TV shows and movies in Hebrew, with only Hebrew subtitles.
- Listen to music in Hebrew and look up the lyrics to learn all the words and phrases you do not recognize.
- Read one section of the newspaper each day – learn the words, expand your vocab and confidence.
- Date an Israeli – within months, you will speak Hebrew fluently.